The dish for the vegetarians this year was a Winter Vegetable Bake with crumble topping. I actually adapted three different recipes which I took from the December edition of 'BBC Vegetarian Christmas' magazine and the BBC Good Food 'Christmas Made Easy' recipe book.
Hope you like it!
You will need:
2kg/4lb mixed root vegetables (I used sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips)
300ml/1/2pt full-fat milk
Black pepper and sage to taste
For the topping:
1 small onion, finely chopped
50g/2 oz fresh breadcrumbs (from about 4 slices bread)
25g/ 1 oz vegetarian-style Parmesan
3 tblsp pine nuts
a small handful of fresh thyme leaves.
1. Peel and dice all the vegetables.
4. Tip the veg back into the pan, season with cracked black pepper and sage and mash over a low heat.
6.For the topping: Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the onion for 5-6 minutes, until golden.
7. Mix in the breadcrumbs and stir to brown and crisp a little.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Take the pan off the heat and spoon mixture on top of the mashed vegetable mix.
10. Sprinkle on the pine nuts.
11. Bake for 25-30 mins (longer if from chilled) at 190 degrees, 170 degrees if fan oven or Gas mark 5 until golden and crisp on top.
12. Add a handful of thyme leaves on top before serving.
The end result was very tasty and a hit with all the vegetarians! What vegetarian recipes can you recommend for Christmas time??